cover girls

D14_049_010One of AU’s big draws is its location. I’ve lived in D.C. for nearly a decade and I’m still in awe of what a beautiful, vibrant city it is. That’s why we love to feature Washington locations in the magazine—places you might remember from your time at AU, or places you might want to visit during your next trip to the nation’s capital.

This issue, we wrote about Dinah Douglas, an SOC master’s student and an intern at the Newseum. Dinah does social media for the Newseum’s exhibits, including JFK, which marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. We photographed Dinah in front of a series of magazine covers featuring the Kennedys. We were drawn to the bright colors and the iconic images.

After we snapped Dinah’s portrait, designer Maria Jackson and I posed alongside Jackie. We just couldn’t help ourselves!

If you’ve never been to the Newseum, I highly recommend you check it out. The 250,000-square-foot, seven-story museum—perched just off the mall on Pennsylvania Avenue—blends five centuries of news history with up-to-the-second technology and hands-on exhibits. My favorite part of the Newseum is the collection of newspapers, which line the exterior of the building. Each day, the museum features the front page of a newspaper from each of the 50 states. I collect newspapers (including some my grandma passed down to me marking Kennedy’s assassination), so I always get a kick out of seeing the day’s headlines. You can also check out the gallery online.