winter wonderland

snowman_D14_396_164aWe’re always on the hunt for a fabulous photo for the “Your American” opener in the magazine. Though our next issue drops April 1, this photo from a February 13 snow storm felt right, as it’s been an brutal winter in Washington.

The day before we went to press, however, we swapped the snowman for a photo of the men’s basketball squad, who took home the Patriot League Championship on March 12, landing a spot in the NCAA tournament. (Read Mike Unger’s tales from Milwaukee here.) It’s a fantastic image (by a student photographer, Murugi Thande ’17) and we were happy to get something about the team’s tournament bid into the magazine.

Students-building-snowman-by-Steven-BlumStill, I was a little sad to see the snowman go. As a native Phoenician, I was over the winter weather by Thanksgiving… but I still felt a strange attachment to these smiling students and their festive creation. So, I was tickled when we found this image in the university archives while searching for photos for “Eagle Tales.”

Looks like snowmen are something of a tradition at AU—as is grumbling about the cold weather.