good sports

Though I’m an editor and writer, I love a photo shoot. It’s exciting to develop a vision and execute it—or rather, have our talented photographer, Jeff Watts, execute it. I would guesstimate that about 90 percent of the images you see in the magazine are original, not stock, photos.

When our friends in Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) decided to profile Loren and Jamie Danielson for the April issue, we knew exactly where we wanted to photograph the Bethesda couple. Loren, Kogod/BSBA ’80 and Jamie, CAS/BA ’81, are generous, longtime supporters of the AU wrestling program (Loren wrestled for AU). What better place to photograph them than the new Bender Arena locker rooms, surrounded by the wrestling team?

When we went to scout the locker room before the shoot, it looked like a hurricane had come through. The guys were at practice, so there were shoes, clothes, and wrestling gear everywhere. (It was a good preview of what my son’s room will look like when he hits the teenage years.) A few days later, however, when we met the Danielsons, DAR staff, and the coaching staff for the photo, the room was spotless—as were the wrestlers, all decked out in their warmup gear.

We tried several combinations before settling on the fourth photo below. The students were great sports (no pun intended). I know being photographed can be a little uncomfortable, but they did everything we asked with a laugh and a smile. And, like our wrestling squad, the final photo is a winner.

wrestler_2_D14_359_001wrestlersD14_359_046D14_359_037D14_359_021_filter