more stories about storytelling

For the latest issue of the magazine, I had the pleasure of soliciting personal stories from SOC faculty, alums, and students. The stories could be about anything – the only common thread was that they held significance to the teller.

I got such great feedback from the SOC community that, predictably, we didn’t have enough room in the magazine to run them all.

Enter this blog. Online there are no such space restrictions, so over the next few weeks, I’ll be running additional stories in this space. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did hearing them.

Pat Aufderheide, professor and codirector, Center for Social Media

“I had a chance encounter with a well-placed alum of our graduate program in film production. He had been poorly served by his undergraduate university and lacked some basic compositional skills. I taught a required class in film theory that he struggled heroically with, and that I worked hard to help him with, but ultimately he got a D. In the end it didn’t stop him from succeeding in the program, as he had enormous dedication. I thought I’d never see him again.

“It must have been 10 years later when I ran into him in the hallway. He stopped me and said, “Professor Aufderheide! I have something to tell you. For years after I left the program, I hated you. I really hated you. But I also found myself asking about my work, what would Professor Aufderheide say? Would this be good enough for Professor Aufderheide? I think I couldn’t be here now if I hadn’t asked those questions. So I can finally say, thank you. Thank you.”

“I was completely floored.”